I am hoping the media will take advantage of the upcoming National Cytomegalovirus Awareness Month in June in order to warn women how to prevent the leading viral cause of birth defects.
- Caregivers of young children are at increased risk for CMV, the leading birth defects virus that disables 4,000 babies each year in the U.S. (CDC).
- Mothers of children in group care are at increased risk for CMV (Pass et al., 1986).
- 44 - 100% of two-year-olds in group daycare are excreting CMV (Pass et al., 1986).
- 8 - 20% of childcare providers contract CMV infection every year (AAP et al., 2011) VERSUS 1-4% in general population (CDC).
- Diaper wipes do not kill CMV (Stowella et al., 2014 ).
- “Women may be able to lessen their risk of getting CMV by reducing contact with saliva and urine from babies and young children. Some ways to do this are: kissing children on the cheek or head rather than the lips, and washing hands after changing diapers. These cannot eliminate your risk of getting CMV, but may lessen your chances of getting it” states the CDC. Download this flyer from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/cmv/downloads/pregnant-patients-cmv.pdf
Light refreshments served. More info about CMV: cdc.gov/cmv.
Visit Debra Lynn Alt at: debralynnalt.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Saunders at: authorlisasaunders.com or congenitalcmv.blogspot.com
- Anything But a Dog! The perfect pet for a girl with congenital CMV
- Surviving Loss: The Woodcutter’s Tale.
- Once Upon a Placemat: A Table Setting Tale
- Help Childcare Providers Fight CMV
c. YouTube Presentation by Lisa Saunders
- Placemats: Side one: Placemat with tableware characters with space for your coloring artist's name (perfect for laminating and using as a table-setting reminder.)
- Side two: Germ prevention tips and hand-washing instructions.
- Video: Short introduction of the tableware characters by Lisa Saunders.
- Connecticut Magazine: Mystic Mom 'Overwhelmed' by Governor Signing Law on ‘Stealth Virus’ That Can Catch Pregnant Women Unaware(2015)
- Cornell Alumni Magazine: In Memory of Elizabeth: Her daughter's death from a preventable disability spurs Lisa Avazian Saunders '82 into action (2015)
- Clinical Advisor magazine: “Connecticut passes cytomegalovirus screening law for newborns” (2015)
- News 8 Medical/Health Report: "Mystic mom raising awareness about potentially deadly virus" (2015)
- News 8: Preventing Congenital CMV During Pregnancy (2015)
- Fox CT, Hartford Courant: Mother Working to Protect Pregnant Moms From Dangerous Virus (2014)
- Mystic River Press: Saunders seeks help with CMV ‘silent virus’ prevention bill (2014)
- Grace Magazine (The Day): "Loss and love: Author raises awareness about preventable birth defect" (2013)
- Times Herald Record: What every pregnant woman needs to know (2009)
- New York Times: CMV Is a Greater Threat to Infants Than Zika, but Far Less Often Discussed (2016). Interviewed about the Connecticut CMV bill. My book about daughter’s life with congenital CMV seen in background of embedded “Questions & Answers About CMV on Facebook Live.”