Click here to download and print the Resume/CV of Lisa Saunders
Lisa interviews health and wellness experts on the Lisa Saunders TV Talk Show (SEC-TV, channel 12), which is also uploaded to YouTube.
- What Caregivers and Pregnant Women Need to Know About CMV
- My Story and CMV (includes research)
- Connecticut and Congenital CMV
- How a Parent Can Raise a CMV Prevention Message (including how to get a law passed)
From Lisa Saunders
- In 2015, I helped Connecticut become the second state in U.S. to require CMV testing when an infant fails their hearing test.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is now working on a publication to provide CMV prevention education for childcare workers.
- Congenital Cytomegalovirus”Disease and Prevention” on its website. My ultimate goal, however, is for CMV prevention to be included in the required training for licensing.
- The MotherToBaby.org Education Committee updated their CMV fact sheet to add a question specific to occupational exposure.
- Writing adult and children’s books and articles on CMV prevention.
- Lecturing on CMV prevention, legislation, and research.
- Interviewing health and wellness experts on my TV talk show (SEC-TV, channel 12), which is also uploaded to my YouTube channel.
- Coordinate the planning and delivery of CMV information (press releases, newsletters, Facebook: CMV in Child Care and Congenital CMV News); educational campaigns (workshops, televised public service announcements); behavior change programs (“Keep Your Cups to Yourself”), CMV risk assessments (health fairs); hand-washing; and more.
- Education: Cornell University, Ithaca, NY: B.S. - Business Management and Marketing (1982).
- Parent representative of the Congenital Cytomegalovirus Foundation.
- Global Congenital CMV Network, Congenital CMV Partnership Team.
- Former licensed child care provider (1986-1989).
- Mother of child who suffered from congenital CMV for 16 years (1989-2006).
- International author of books providing a CMV prevention message.
- Former campus communications writer for the State University of New York at Rockland.
- Commendations: Infection Control Nurses of Connecticut: Honored for “Unwavering dedication in her crusade to stop CMV (2013) and Cornell University President, David J. Skorton, MD: Letter of appreciation for CMV work (2013)
- Help Childcare Providers Fight CMV. A workbook for child care directors and policy makers (2018).
- Anything But a Dog! The perfect pet for a girl with CMV. A memoir (Unlimited Publishing, 2008, Japan: Thousand Books, 2017)
- Surviving Loss: The Woodcutter’s Tale: Fairytale about losing a child plus moving forward (2013)
- Once Upon a Placemat: A Table Setting Tale. An educational coloring book for families and child care centers. "Grandma" uses Miss Cup to insist on germ prevention. She also discusses Mr. Knife's fear of the dish will running away with the spoon to teach table-setting. FREE Teaching Toolkit includes a "Color-me-in" placemat with tableware characters with Miss Cup's germ prevention tips.
- Educational Video: Help Child Care Providers and Moms Fight CMV
- Video geared to children: Introduces the placemat characters from Once Upon a Placemat: A Table Setting Tale and why germ prevention is important.
- "The Danger of Spreading CMV: How We Can Protect Our Children" by Lisa Saunders published by ChildCare Aware of America (June 2017).
- “Help Childcare Providers Fight CMV” by Lisa Saunders published by National CMV Foundation (March 5, 2018)
- CMV: The Virus Nobody Talks About. Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics magazine, p. 41. (2010, Fall).
- Family Health: The Tragic Kiss--Suffern Mom Works to Spread Word About CMV. Rockland Parent Magazine. (2007, September).
- Pregnant Women: Learn Risk of CMV. The Journal News, p. 4B. (2007, January 28).
- Epilepsy: Elizabeth, Forever Sweet Sixteen. CURE (Citizens United for Research in Epilepsy) Newsletter, p. 5. (2006, Summer).
- Elizabeth: A Christmas Blessing. Challenge Magazine, 2(4), pp. 14, 16. (1994).
- Above-sink wall flyer on hand-washing, "Share a Meal Not the Germs"
- Above-sink wall flyer for hand-washing, "Diaper Wipes Don't Kill CMV"
- Wall Flyer For Women Who Care for Toddlers
- Tri-fold Flyer for Daycare Directors/Providers
- Warning Photograph for Wall/Sharing on Social Media
- Song, “Had I Known (about CMV)” by Debra Lynn Alt. Inspired by my story.
- Music/image video about my daughter’s life includes CMV prevention: Girl with congenital cytomegalovirus (CMV) set to song, "Voice for Sam," by Debra Lynn Alt
- Content Coordinator, Groton-Mystic Neighbors magazine (Best Version Media publication), since March 2018.
- New England/New York media and networking consultant. Write press releases, biographies, and marketing materials for clients that include National Field Service Corporation and Connie Howard Music.
- Promoted events and programs to the media, authoring press releases, which resulted in newspaper coverage of the college and faculty. Wrote the alumni newsletter, SCENE, with quarterly circulation of 35,000. Used Twitter, Facebook, and RCC Speakers Bureau as additional promotional tools.
- Awarded by the National Council for Marketing & Public Relations, District I: “Gold Medallion” for Academic Convocation Booklet (2010); Silver for Departmental Brochures (2010); and Bronze for ad print series, which featured noteworthy alumni (2009).
- Received national coverage on Fox and Friends and in Associated Press through press releases relating the circumstances of individual students or faculty to current events.
- News 8: Mystic mother raises awareness of CMV, a risk for pregnant women and their babies (Sarah Cody, June 13, 2018)
- Sarah Cody, News Reporter, Facebook CMV Prevention video (June 2018)
- Connecticut Magazine: Mystic Mom 'Overwhelmed' by Governor Signing Law on ‘Stealth Virus’ That Can Catch Pregnant Women Unaware (2015)
- Cornell Alumni Magazine: In Memory of Elizabeth: Her daughter's death from a preventable disability spurs Lisa Avazian Saunders '82 into action (2015)
- Clinical Advisor magazine: “Connecticut passes cytomegalovirus screening law for newborns” (2015)
- News 8 Medical/Health Report: "Mystic mom raising awareness about potentially deadly virus" (2015)
- News 8: Preventing Congenital CMV During Pregnancy (2015)
- Fox CT, Hartford Courant: Mother Working to Protect Pregnant Moms From Dangerous Virus (2014)
- Mystic River Press: Saunders seeks help with CMV ‘silent virus’ prevention bill (2014)
- Grace Magazine (The Day): "Loss and love: Author raises awareness about preventable birth defect" (2013)
- Times Herald Record: What every pregnant woman needs to know (2009)
- New York Times: CMV Is a Greater Threat to Infants Than Zika, but Far Less Often Discussed (2016). Interviewed about the Connecticut CMV bill. My book about daughter’s life with congenital CMV seen in background of embedded “Questions & Answers About CMV on Facebook Live.”
- Early Childhood Collaborative of Southington (2016)/“Childcare Providers: 13 Things You Should Know”
- Promoting and marketing CMV prevention programs to target populations such as child care workers and women of childbearing age by utilizing existing resources such as those created by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National CMV Foundation, Congenital CMV Disease Research, Clinic & Registry, Congenital Cytomegalovirus Foundation, and National CMV Registry for Pregnant Women (part of the CMV Research Foundation Inc.), in addition to other birth defects prevention organizations.
- Sharing health promotion and disease prevention campaigns through national observances: June: National Congenital CMV Awareness Month, October: 15 - 21 International Infection Prevention Week; October 15: Global Handwashing Day; January: National Birth Defects Prevention Month; February: International Prenatal Infection Prevention Month; and April: National Public Health Week.
- Consulting regularly with the country's leading CMV medical experts. Contacting relevant organizations requesting CMV education be included in training materials, literature and websites. Consulting with legislators to create CMV prevention education laws--particularly in regard to child care centers. Maintaining an extensive bibliography with live links to resource articles and presentations.
I felt sick at what my lack of knowledge had done to my little girl. In milder cases, children with congenital CMV may lose hearing or struggle with learning disabilities. But Elizabeth's case was not a mild one. When my husband Jim heard Elizabeth's grim prognosis, he stared at her and said, “She needs me”—just like Charlie Brown with that pathetic Christmas tree.
CDC, Society of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Maternal and Child Health Coalition, and Infection Control Nurses of Connecticut.
|Anything But a Dog! The perfect pet for a girl with CMV (cytomegalovirus) (my memoir about my daughter's life).|
|Survivng Loss: The Wooder's Tale (a fairy tale inspired by my daughter's death and belief we will all be reunited one day)|
|Once Upon a Placemat--A table setting tale: Coloring book and CMV prevention tips from Miss Cup. (Click here for video of me introducing book and here for placemats for downloading and coloring.)|
Mystic Seafarer's Trail: Misadventures trying to get thin and famous so people will hear about CMV (2012)