|Dr. Brenda Balch (l) appeared on the Lisa Saunders Show in April 2017 to discuss Connecticut passing House Bill 5525: "An Act Concerning Cytomegalovirus [CMV].” To watch, click here (Balch interview begins 9 minutes in after the interview with CMV expert, Dr. Gail Demmler-Harrison, and CMV survivor, Caroline Bailey).|
- Brenda K. Balch, MD, Connecticut's American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Early Hearing Detection and Intervention (EHDI) Chapter Champion
- Lisa Saunders of Mystic, Connecticut, mother of a girl born disabled by congenital CMV and leader of Child Care Providers Education Committee, National CMV Foundation
Dr. Brenda K. Balch, CT’s American Academy of Pediatrics Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Chapter Champion (left), Casey Famigletti and Lisa Saunders, CMV mothers, testified in favor of CMV prevention education and testing newborns for CMV who fail their hearing screen in 2015.
Dr. Balch, a consultant for Connecticut Department of Public Health (CT DPH), helped DPH implement the law by:
Dr. Balch continues to educate the public about CMV, particularly child care providers who are unaware of their occupational hazard. She co-authored a study with doctoral students of audiology at the University of Connecticut entitled, "National Child Care Provider's Awareness of Congenital Cytomegalovirus”. To help me in my CMV efforts, she:
- Appears on TV with me to discuss CMV.
- Accompanied me to visit a local child care director and their consulting nurse to discuss CMV and how to educate their workers.
- She actively creates educational materials as a member of the Child Care Providers Education Committee, National CMV Foundation, which I lead
- Co-authored my poster, "Increasing Child Care Provider Awareness of Congenital Cytomegalovirus (CMV)" for the CMV Public Health and Policy Conference, Vermont (September 2018):
About Lisa Saunders
Back up information on the collaboration of Saunders and Balch:
Balch, Brenda K., MD, commenting on CT CMV testing law effective 2016. (2018, September). Burlington, VT. Retrieved from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mm0C_bpfO4s6hy-kvhWZsWL2laaHyhDA/view?usp=sharing (filmed by Lisa Saunders)